This past weekend we traveled to Alabama for my half-marathon race! We left Saturday after lunch to go on our little road trip.
Aidan and Daddy after we got loaded up.
The trip really wasn't bad at all. We stayed in Pell City, Alabama, which was just about 15 mins
from the Talladega Motor Speedway. It only took us about 2 1/2 hours, but about half
way there Aidan started asking over and over and over again "when are we gonna be there?"
I think our awesome traveler has changed his mind about traveling :(
Aidan was so excited to stay in a hotel. He kept saying that
he wanted to live there. He is so funny!
Saturday night we went to Olive Garden so I could load up on carbs :) It was pretty yummy and we had a good night! Even with Arkansas losing horribly to Alabama :(
I forgot to take a picture of us in the restaurant, so I had Aidan pose
with an Olive Garden mint :)
We all woke up bright and early Saturday morning and headed to the race track. I was pretty anxious and nervous. After my eight weeks of training, it was time to see if I could do it. I prayed SO hard that morning and all throughout the race for God to grant me the strength and the will to keep running and do well. The race began at 7:30am and when the horn blew we took off. At about the 3rd mile I ran up behind a woman who had Philippians 4:13 on the back of her shirt, "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength". It was what I needed and as I ran by her I told her thank you for wearing that shirt and that it encouraged me so much. I also told her that I may have to run past her again a little further along the race :) The whole week before the race I had so many people encouraging me and I have to say that I have some of the most amazing friends and family! My friend Stacey made me up a little goody bag and wrote me an encouraging note and I had so many people sending me notes and letting me know that they were praying and thinking about me as I ran my race. That along with Gods strength and grace got me through!
My goal for the race was to run it in 2 hours and 30 mins or less. My starting pace in my run was at about a 9 min 30 sec mile and I was expecting my pace to slow tremendously as the race went on, but when I got to the 11 mile marker and was running still below a 10 min mile I knew that it was not by my own strength. I finished the race in 2 hours and 8 minutes. 22 mins below my goal time! At about the last tenth of a mile, I passed Trent and Aidan and gave Aidan a high five and sprinted to the finish line. As I crossed the finish line I felt such relief and excitement! I ran over to Trent and gave him a huge hug and he kept saying how proud he was of me. Which meant the world to me! He didn't even complain about me giving him a full frontal hug after I had just ran 13.1 miles :) I kissed my Aidan boy and he said "good job mommy" and with those three little words I knew that what I just did was not only for me but for my husband and my son :) They have been amazing to me as I have been training for this race. I am so blessed to have such an amazing family and friends! I give all the credit to God and I know that there is no way that I ran that race by myself.
Before the race...and all the sweat :)
The pace car
And we're off!
The picture is a little blurry. I'm by the guy with the mustard yellow
shirt on. Black shirt and blue shorts.
During the race Trent and Aidan enjoyed some of the activities they had set up. They had some inflatables set up and a tire changing station with a little car and some tools for the kids to change out the tires. Aidan told me after the race that he got to be "Guido" from the Cars movie. I think the boys had fun, it was a pretty cool location for them to hang out in.
Aidan holding up a number one at victory lane.
After the race, waiting in line to take a picture at victory lane. I'm just a little sweaty and
red faced :)
After a quick shower and change of clothes we checked out of the hotel
and headed to Zaxby's for some lunch.
I love my boys!
Aidan took a little nap on the way home. He wore his Lightening McQueen shirt for
the occasion :)
Before we got home we swung by a running store close to our house
and I got my 13.1 sticker :)
Sunday night we just laid low. My legs were pretty sore and we all just chilled out. It was nice! Monday morning Aidan had school and that night all three of us watched a Curious George movie after dinner. And of course Aidan needed to have George watch it with us too! Love him!
Today we ran some errands and had a play date with Ryan at Catch Air. The boys had a blast and played together for over 2 hours!
We had a great weekend and now I'm going to take it a little easy and not run quite as many miles a week :) It's a great feeling to accomplish a big goal and I am really glad that I was able to experience it!
"No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way." Hebrews 12:11
Aww Vicki, I'm so super proud of you!!! Your post totally make me cry!
ReplyDeleteLove you all so much!