Well...it's over. Aidan had his eye surgery last Thursday and I am so glad that it is done! First off I just want to say how amazingly blessed we are to have such an amazing little guy. He has been so great during all of this. We are so proud of him for being such a big boy :)
Last Wednesday we went to the airport and picked up Mom-Mom. Woo hoo!! We are so glad that Mom-Mom got to come down for Aidan's surgery. It was SO nice to have her here for support and just to be around :) We went shopping to buy Aidan some special pajamas for his surgery. And this is what he picked out...
How stinkin' cute is he in these "footie" pajamas?! That was his one request,
to have pjs with feet...he is so funny!
Thursday morning we all woke up bright and early and headed down to the eye doctor's building. It was nice because the doctor alternates doing surgery in the hospital and on the floor below his office every other week, we were fortunate enough to have it done at his office building which I believed helped in it not being quite so scary.
I went back with Aidan to the prep room and it was pretty hard. He was scared and upset which in turn made me upset. They gave him some "loopy" medicine and after that he didn't have a care in the world. It was actually pretty comical because he started acting well...loopy :) At one point he was moving the bed up and down with the remote and he moved the bed up all the way, but when the bed stopped moving up and forward, Aidan kept going and just fell over and I had to lift him back up. It was pretty funny and helped to make it a little less scary for the both of us. When it was time for him to go back I started to get really upset, I told him I loved him and that I would see him soon. He was so far gone that he just smiled at me. I love that boy SO much!
The actual procedure only took about 45 mins and after it was over Trent and I headed back to be with him as he woke up from the anesthesia. It was a pretty rough wake up and he got upset because he couldn't see very well. (They had to dilate his eyes so I imagine everything was pretty blurry). He did very well considering what he had just gone through and once again I was crying and upset. I got squeamish a little when he first started to wake up because he had some tears and they were bloody, it made me a little nervous, but they said it was completely normal. After he woke up quite a bit we were able to go home. He fell asleep again on the way home and slept for about 2 and a half hours. While he was asleep Mrs. Lyndsay stopped by to drop off a present for Aidan from his friend Ryan. Throughout this whole process we have been so blessed to have so many friends and family members praying for us and supporting us. Thank you all!
When Aidan woke up from his nap, it was like nothing had happened. He was playing and being silly with Mom-Mom and mostly back to his normal self :) A couple of the side effects of the surgery include: double vision, red eyes, and his eyes are a little crossed. Watch the video below for some of his double vision. Honestly the hardest part of this whole ordeal has been having to put drops into his eyes. He absolutely hates it! For 5 days post surgery we have to put drops in his eyes 4 times a day! The first couple days he battled and screamed and fought us like crazy. Trent would have to hold him down while I put the drops in. It usually ended with me crying and Trent and I arguing. Good news is that after some bribing by mommy and daddy, Aidan now lets us put drops in his eyes without too much complaining and resistance. Which is a great thing! Mom-Mom had to go back to Arkansas yesterday and we miss her VERY much!
God definitely blessed us with a great eye doctor for Aidan and a smooth and uneventful surgery. Prayers are still welcomed as Aidan's eyes continue to heal. The doctor told us that Aidan's surgery went very well and that we should expect great results. It will take three months for us to fully know how well the surgery went but we have every reason to believe that it will turn out great.
Aidan loved spending time with Mom-Mom after his surgery.
Look at his arm draped around her :)
He LOVES his Mom-Mom!
Friday our neighbors and friends Mrs. Lisa and other Aidan
came by to visit Aidan and brought him a gift :)
This was taken after church today. You can see the red in his eyes.
Love this boy!
Here is the Double Vision video. Sweetest boy
EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light." Matthew 6:22
God love him!!!
ReplyDeleteYou totally made me cry reading this post! Love your heart! I'm so grateful that everything went well and that he was such a big boy!!!
And hearing Mom-mom's laugh was priceless. :)
Love you all!
And I LOVE those PJ's! :)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that Aidan is doing so well, and I am also so sorry that we have not been able to provide more support for you guys given Lander's late birth, etc. Can't wait to get settled in and see you all and give Aidan a big squeeze from his pal jack-Bo!
ReplyDelete